McLean's Immigration Law PLLC: Immigration and Nationality Law

McLean Immigration Law
Attorney Profiles
Practice Areas
Contact Us
Contact Us
Temporary Visas Employment Ba Family Based Permenant Visas U.S. Citizenship
Family-Based Immigration

Consular Processing

Obtaining permanent resident status for other relatives is dependent upon visa availability. The following family categories may require long waits for visas:

  • First Preference: Unmarried adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens who are above the age of 21 years
  • Second Preference: Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents and their unmarried sons and daughters of any age
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

(See the Visa Bulletin link on the Home Page).

In order to sponsor a relative for Permanent Residency (Green Card), a visa petition is filed with USCIS by either a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder).

When the petition is approved, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will notify the petitioner when a visa is available for the preference category applicable. If your relative fits the definition of "immediate relative: there is no wait. An "immediate relative" is defined as a spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21 years of age of the petitioner.

The NVC will forward the case to the designated Consulate for consular processing. The relative will be notified by the Consulate for an interview. If approved, an immigrant visa will be stamped in the relative's passport. He/She can then enter the U.S. and shortly thereafter, the Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) will arrive in the mail.

Please read our Attorney Advertising Notice and our Disclaimer.Sitemap